Summer equates to a time of more relaxed schedules, vacation getaways, and fun. These often lead to treating yourself and your family to a special sweet treat every now and then! Especially in the warm weather, we tend crave something cold and creamy. But the next time the summer heat makes you want to reach for a high-sugar ice cream cone, try out one of these nutritious, but equally delicious frozen treats instead! You’ll cool off and properly fuel your body to stay energized for all your fun summertime activities.
For an easy and refreshing snacks, try out Grapesicles! Simply de-stem, wash, and dry green and/or red grapes, then thread through a wooden kebab stick. Place the kebabs in a plastic bag and freeze. For an even easier snack, skip placing the grapes on a stick and put them directly into the plastic bag. These can be enjoyed straight out of the freezer or thawed for a few minutes before enjoying. A simple grape becomes a sweet, cool and creamy treat in no time!
Nutrition (15 grapes): 52 calories, 0g protein, 0g fat, 13.5g carbs
Pina Colada Protein Shake
- 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks (fresh, frozen, or canned in100 percent juice)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 2 to 4 packets of stevia (or sweetener of choice to taste)
- ½ to 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk in carton (not canned) or milk of choice (alter amount to desired consistency)
- 1/2 tsp. coconut extract
- 1/4 tsp. rum extract (optional)
- 5 to 10 ice cubes (depending on how thick you like it; use less ice for a thinner consistency)
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until a desired creamy consistency is reached. Pour into a glass and, if desired, top with a slice of pineapple, unsweetened dried coconut, and a cherry. A perfect, protein-packed poolside beverage!
Nutrition (entire recipe): 220 calories, 40g protein, 1g fat, 15g carbs
PB Cup Fudgsicles
- 1/2 cup fat free unsweetened Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese (or additional Greek yogurt)
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim milk)
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter or almond butter
- Pinch of salt
- 6 packets stevia (or 2 Tbsp. baking stevia or 1/4 cup sweetener that measures like sugar)
Blend all ingredients in a blender (or food processor) until combined and a smooth texture is reached. Pour mixture into popsicle molds, stopping when mold is almost full, (leaving a bit of room at the top to insert without causing mixture to overflow). Insert sticks. Freeze for four hours or longer until popsicles are firm. To remove, run popsicle mold under hot water for about 10 to 15 seconds, or until popsicle becomes loose enough to remove from mold. A light, but delicious way to fill a chocolate craving!
Nutrition (1 popsicle): 70 calories, 6g protein, 4g fat, 4g carbs
Muscles and Mocha Frappuccino
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, chilled (regular or decaf)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Stevia to taste, if desired
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until mixture is well combined.