Joining a Masters Swim group can be mysterious and intimidating, if only for the first few minutes. Don’t let the stereotype that “only hardcore super-fast swimmers go to Masters Classes” keep you from joining in the fun.
At the Village Health Clubs, we have all levels of ability in our Master Swim Classes and coaches who deliver a workout tailored to each participant’s unique skills. Workouts last about an hour and swimmers complete anywhere from 2,500 to 3,000+ yards during that time. Don’t let the yardage scare you; do as much as you are comfortable with, especially when you first begin. The coaches are there to help you (and also challenge you), so don’t be afraid to ask for help with specific techniques and stroke tips.
When you are looking to attend your first Master Swim Class keep these 5 things in mind.
- You should be comfortable in the water and be able to swim freestyle for a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes.
- If you’re not quite up to swimming 30 to 45 minutes, talk with the coach to get guidance on how to improve your endurance or start by taking an individual lesson.
- Talk to the coach before class about your interest in attending, and your experience and ability level so they can group you in the appropriate lane during class.
- You don’t need to know all the different strokes; basic knowledge of freestyle will suffice.
- Swimmers are very friendly, social people; introduce yourself to the other swimmers — you will make fast friends!
Master Swim Classes at the Village Health Clubs are offered to members at no extra cost. So grab your suit, goggles, cap and a smile and… jump in, the water’s fine! For more information about the Master Swim Classes at the Village Health Clubs, contact Abby at
Benefits of Swimming
Swimming is a fabulous whole-body exercise that doesn’t put excess strain on joints so it’s great for elderly people or those that suffer from chronic pain. It’s also a workout disguised as fun — so it’s great for kids and adults alike and is a great social activity. Swimming serves as a natural mood booster, reduces stress and anxiety, and even is believed to help the brain function more efficiently.